Fish oils are becoming more popular every day. We all want to be healthy and we look for everything we can that can help us with this goal. Besides, if it’s a natural product, the better. There are some factors you need to consider when buying fish oil:
- The oil must meet international standards for heavy metals, dioxins, and other contaminants.
- Omega-3 oils are very susceptible to oxidation, which makes them rancid over time. If you take rancid fish oil, you might be doing even worse.
- The fish oil should contain a proper amount of EPA and DHA.
- All fish oils contain EPA and DHA. However, fish liver oil, from cod, shark or skate also contains natural vitamins that are difficult to obtain on other foods.
- The more natural the fish oil the better.
- The fish should be harvested in a sustainable manner.
- The product must be relatively affordable.
But which fish oil type should you choose? Here are the 3 most popular fish oil types:
#1: Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil is one of the most popular fish oils. It’s a natural supplement that contains Vitamins A and D and has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids – EPA and DHA. Cod liver oil is one of the most used with children, especially because it has higher levels of both vitamins A and D than traditional fish oil. Several studies also demonstrated the beneficial effects preventing heart attacks and helping with psoriasis.
#2: Krill Oil
Krill oil is prepared using the Antarctic krill and contains several antioxidants, including vitamins A and E, and astaxanthin. Several studies have been showing that they may contain toxic residues but the United States FDA allows it to be consumed. Krill oil is somewhat different from the regular fish oils. While EPA and DHA in fish oils come in the form of triglycerides, the EPA and DHA in krill oil is already incorporated into phospholipids, which eases the passage of the fatty acids through the intestinal wall. This improves absorption and assimilation.
#3: Shark Liver Oil
Shark liver oil has a long history. For many years, it has been used as a remedy for digestive and respiratory problems, as well as to treat wounds. There aren’t many studies that allow us to clearly state the benefits of the Shark Liver Oil. However, you can find it on some skin lotions and hemorrhoid medications. There are several studies that provide evidence that fish oils can really help your health: not only maintaining it, as to recovering from some specific diseases, as well as to prevent them. Fish oils will help your immunity system to create the right defenses. Make sure you don’t forget to keep a balanced diet as well as exercising regularly.